Knit!

Steal Me

Where I Can Be Found

Subscribe with Bloglines

Add http://aswansonknitting.blogspot.com to your Kinja digest

A Case of Fiber Fever

Almost Felted

At My Knits End

boogaj

Caramel Knits

Carrioke

ChicKnits

Dogs Steal Yarn

Ei Knit

Eklectika!

Fluffa!

Froggy Knits

Hello Yarn

I'm Knittig as Fast as I Can

Indigo Muse Knits

JStrizzy

JenLa

Knitblog

Knit Happens

Knitche

Little Miss Messy Hair

Mayflower

Passionknit

Pixiestikz

Quixotic Musings

Red Velvet Cake

Sandy's Knitting

Stitchy McYarnpants

The Blue Blog

The Boogie Knits

The Keyboard Biologist Knits

The Knitting Curmudgeon

The Knitty Gritty

Woolflowers

Wendy Knits!

Wovenflame

Yarn Harlot

Ring Around the Rosies

<Knitting Bloggers >

< Purling Puppy Webring! >

< ? Knitter's Review Ring >

< ? chicago blogs # >

Midwest Knitters
Previous | Next
List | Random

Thursday, November 18, 2004

How has knitting affected my shopping habits?

I saw a topic over at Knitter's Review the other day that said, "How knitting has changed my shopping" or something to that effect. I started thinking about it and my shopping habits have changed. I am more aware of what things are made of and the costs associated with them.

Example: I was shopping with my sister at Ralph Lauren. They had tons of beautiful sweaters--cashemere for close to $200 (which I find to be about right). They also had some very nice cabled pullovers. I looked at the price-$70. I looked at the label-acrylic! Now I don't mind acrylic--it can be washed at home, some hold up very well. But I know that I can make a very nice sweater in an acrylic and wool blend for much less than $70. I realize most of that cost was the "label", but seriously folks! I find it is a little harder for me to part with my money on something like that.

There is a flip side, too. I was at Gap and they had wool, acrylic, cashemere, angora blend cardigans for $14. Um, I bought two. I could never make something in those fibers for $14.

Maybe I am a little bit more fiber saavy?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find my shopping habits have changed also. I buy less clothes and more yarn. I will not buy certain items because why would I...I can make them. Especially items like ponchos, scarves, certain sweaters, etc... :-)

Eilene
http://eiknit.typepad.com

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am buying less clothes and more yarn. Also I look at labels to see what items are made of. I don't mind buying an acrylic sweater for the same reasons as you said but not for $70!! I did however buy an angora/wool/cashmere cabled sweater for $70 cause I know I couldn't make it for that price.
Kate
http://fiberfever.typepead.com

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

January 8, 2005-May 8, 2005

Memes

Previous Posts

On the Needles

Knit-A-Long